Tom's Hardware on NICs

Tom's Hardware wrote a good article titled Gigabit Ethernet: On-Board Chips Reviewed. It explains the importance of high bandwidth PCI buses. I recommend reading it, but keep in mind the following feedback I sent the site:


Hello,

I found your article "Gigabit Ethernet: On-Board Chips Reviewed" useful. I'm really glad to see someone authoritatively discuss NIC issues.

However, I think you use some throughput terms in odd ways. I believe a few changes could make it easier for the reader to appreciate your analysis.

For example, here you say "133 MB/s," presumably to mean 133 MegaBytes per second, for the bandwidth of a 32 bit 33 MHz PCI bus. That is correct. Farther down the same page, you mention "a 100 MBit interface," which I guess you mean 100 Megabits per second. Would it not be better to standardize on 133 MBps and 100 Mbps, respectively?

Just after that you say "2 GBit/s or 266 MBit/s". This is where you are mixing these terms and creating confusion. From the context the first term should be 2 Gigabits per second (2 Gbps) and the second should be 2 MegaBytes per second (266 MBps). I checked the Intel CSA document to confirm these values.

On the next page you write "The 100 MBit/s, 100BaseT-Ethernet standard offers a theoretical maximum data transfer rate of 12.5 MBytes/s (MB/s). In real world applications, the actual rate is usually 8 MB/s." I recommend this be changed to "The 100 Mbps, 100BaseT-Ethernet standard offers a theoretical maximum data transfer rate of 12.5 MBps. In real world applications, the actual rate is usually 8 MBps." I think other mentions of "MB/s" should similarly be replaced by "MBps" for clarity.

Thank you for your time,

Richard Bejtlich

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zeek in Action Videos

New Book! The Best of TaoSecurity Blog, Volume 4

MITRE ATT&CK Tactics Are Not Tactics